The State Game and Fish Department will continue its Hunter-Harvested Surveillance program during the 2013 hunting season, by sampling deer for chronic wasting disease and bovine tuberculosis from 13 units in North Dakota. In addition, all moose and elk harvested in the state are eligible for testing.
Samples from hunter-harvested deer taken in the eastern portion of the state will be tested from units 1, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F1, 2F2, 2G, 2G1, 2G2 and 2L. In addition, deer will be tested from unit 3F2 in the southwest.
Every head sampled must have either the deer tag attached, or a new tag can be filled out with the license number, deer hunting unit and date harvested.
Hunters are encouraged to drop off deer heads at the following locations:
- · Aneta – Aneta Meats Service
- · Bottineau – Mattern Family Meats
- · Cando – K&E Meats
- · Carrington – Barton Meats
- · Casselton – Casselton Cold Storage
- · Devils Lake – Game and Fish Department
- · Dunseith – Wayne’s Food Pride
- · Edgeley – Edgeley Meat Processing Plant
- · Enderlin – Maple Valley Lockers
- · Fargo – J&K Taxidermy, Jer’s Wildlife Taxidermy
- · Fordville – Dakota Prairie Wildlife Club
- · Grand Forks – Bob’s Oil, Ted’s Taxidermy
- · Great Bend – Manock Meats
- · Gwinner – Stoppleworth Taxidermy
- · Jamestown – Game and Fish Department, Real Look Taxidermy
- · LaMoure – LaMoure Lockers
- · Langdon – Hickory Hut
- · Larimore – Glenn’s EZ Stop
- · Milnor – Milnor Locker
- · New Rockford – Risovi Taxidermy
- · Oakes – Butcher Block
- · Park River – Jim’s Super Value Inc.
- · Reynolds – Weber’s Meats
- · Rolette – The Meat Shack
- · Sheyenne – Brenno Meats
- · Valley City – Valley Meat Supply
- · Wahpeton – J&R Taxidermy, Auto Value Parts Store
- · Walhalla – Walhalla Co-op
- · Wyndmere – Bridgemart Meats LLC
Drop off locations for deer taken from unit 3F2:
- · Bismarck – Game and Fish Department, Call of the Wild Taxidermy, M&M Sausage and Meats, West Dakota Meats
- · Elgin – Gunny’s Bait and Tackle, Melvin’s Taxidermy
- · Glen Ullin – Kuntz’s Butcher Shop
- · Hettinger – Dakota Packing
- · Mandan – Butcher Block Meats
- · New Leipzig – Hertz Hardware
Moose and elk heads should be taken to a Game and Fish office.
CWD affects the nervous system of members of the deer family and is always fatal. Scientists have found no evidence that CWD can be transmitted naturally to humans or livestock.