North Dakota’s darkhouse spearfishing season opens on most state waters December 1. The season extends through March 15. Legal fish are northern pike and nongame species.
All individuals who participate in darkhouse spearfishing must register with the North Dakota Game and Fish Department prior to participating. Registration is available at the department’s website, gf.nd.gov, or through any Game and Fish Department office.
All waters open to hook and line fishing are open to darkhouse spearing except:
- Braun Lake – Logan County
- East Park Lake, West Park Lake, Lake Audubon – McLean County
- Heckers Lake – Sheridan County
- McClusky Canal
- New Johns Lake – Burleigh County
- Red and Bois de Sioux rivers
- Red Willow Lake – Griggs County
- Sweet Briar Dam – Morton County