ND Fishing Regulation Changes

2010-12 Fishing Regulations Set, New License Required

North Dakota’s 2010-12 fishing proclamation has been set, with regulations effective April 1, 2010 through March 31, 2012. In addition, anglers are reminded that new fishing licenses are required April 1.

Notable regulation changes include:

· Added Harmon Lake and Crown Butte Dam, both in Morton County, to the list of “no live baitfish” lakes.

· State Fair Pond, Ward County, is closed to all fishing from November 1 through March 31.

· Added all waters open to public fishing in Ramsey County; Carlson Lakes, Ward County; Gravel Lake, Rolette County; and West Napoleon Lake, Logan County; to the list of open waters for darkhouse spearfishing. Closed Patterson Reservoir (Dickinson Reservoir, Stark County) to darkhouse spearfishing.

· Lake Metigoshe, Bottineau County, daily and possession limit for bluegill was reduced to 10 and 20 respectively.

· Eliminated the 14-inch minimum walleye size limit on Spiritwood Lake, Stutsman County, and Lake Ashtabula, Barnes County.

Anglers are also reminded of regulations intended to reduce the risk of aquatic nuisance species transfer between water bodies. Current law states that no aquatic vegetation, or parts thereof, shall be in or on watercraft, motors, trailers and recreational equipment when out of water. Time out of the water needed to remove aquatic vegetation at the immediate water access area (boat ramp) is allowed. All built-in structures to boats, including livewells and bait compartments, and containers (bait buckets) used to transport legal live bait, must also be free of aquatic vegetation.

Fishing licenses can be purchased online at the Game and Fish Department website, gf.nd.gov. Other useful fishing information, including North Dakota’s fishing waters, Missouri River System access points, and stocking records, is also available on the department’s website and in the March-April issue of the North Dakota OUTDOORS magazine.

The 2010-12 North Dakota Fishing Guide is available at Game and Fish Department offices and license vendors throughout the state.